Help keeping a news spool

I like to run a local news spool, but I only have
newsreader access with my provider.

I like to use trn or strn to read from the local
spool.

What is the best way to do this with Debian?

Since Debian 2.0 or earlier I have been using
leafnode and trn/strn with a customized Pnews
script.

Each Debian release breaks my Pnews.
The latest is checking & resetting perms in $NEWSSPOOL.

Long ago I ran bnews and cnews but with real
upstream newsfeeds.

I have used suck in the past with a script which
dumped the news into the spool directories, with
trn in non-NNTP mode.  This approach is just
too archaic to resurrect.

rir