Re: hibernation on a desktop? Suspend-to-RAM on a desktop?

> Try installing the apm daemon (apmd), but I think it won't do these
> things.

Yeah I got the apm daemon, it's the debian/unstable version though, maybe
I should get the latest sources?

> > The apm options I've configured are:
> >
> > CONFIG_APM=y
> > # CONFIG_APM_DISABLE_BY_DEFAULT is not set
> > # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> > CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
> > CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> > # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
> > CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE=y
> > # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
> > # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
> > # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
>
> Ok, very close to my configuration... But when I simply suspend and I
> try to reuse my computer, it COMPLETLY hangs.

What's your configuration?

When I type apm -s, one of two things happens:

- The command pauses briefly, then decides to ignore me and returns to
the command prompt.

- The system does indeed seem to stop. But the machine doesn't sound any
quieter. The fan is still going and the hd's probably also.

> I tried to stop a drive (not the root linux one) and then I was unable
> to wake it up and the system crashed...

How did you try to do it? I've got /usr/sbin/hdparm -S 60 /dev/hda
in /etc/rc.boot/ and the machine hasn't hung yet; then again I haven't really
noticed the HD stopping either. Is there a test program which will
stop the HD right away?

In other news, my machine was hanging like crazy yesterday morning,
but maybe this is because I was trying out the 2.4-test7 kernel and acpi.

-chris