"Cross-window-paste-facility-thing" ???

Greetings.  Before last Friday, when I installed Debian Potato, I
used Mandrake 7.1........

I had it set up so that I could highlight something in Netscape,
with the mouse, and then by clicking the middle mouse button
could paste it straight away into, say, GVim.

Really useful!

Such is my memory that I can't even remember what this feature is
called!!

Can anyone remind me and perhaps point to advice about setting it
up on Debian.

Thanks for your patience and help thus far

Glyn M

       * "The soul is greater than the hum of its parts. "  *
       *                 Douglas Hoftstatder                *