Re: dpkg binary dbase (was Re: Debian vs. Red Hat)

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 01:28:15PM +1100, loki wrote:

> I thought Solaris used binary databases for speed, with a text one
> as backup and for readability.  What if we had both a text and
> binary database, and added the following options to dpkg:

[snip]

no need install dlocate:

$ time dlocate -s ssh
real    0m2.658s
user    0m1.260s
sys     0m0.070s
$

my load average is 1.45 at the moment otherwise that would have been
twice as fast.

apt-cache show|search are also quite fast.

text database is the ONLY way to go, if it were not for that i would
have been totally fscked when my /var got hosed and my backup was
inconsistent with my current package installation which confused
dpkg.  (answer: emacs /var/lib/dpkg/status took a little time to work
out, but MUCH LESS then it would have taken to blow away my install
and start over from scratch)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/