Re: Debian vs. Red Hat

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 11:19:14AM -0400, Chris Gray (cgray@nowonder.com) wrote:
> Paul,
>

> > > It's to anyone,  I've mainly used Debian, because of it's
> > > stability, but our
> > > ISP has a contractor who's opinion is   "Red Hat's the best,
> > > thats why they
> > > are so popular."  I want to dipute this, but I need more than just my own
> >
> > It is my experience most people feel whatever they are familiar with is the
> > best for situation.  I don't think I know *that* much about debian.  I do
> > know .deb is worlds better than .rpm.  When it comes to debian, you are
> > talking to the choir.
>
> However, dpkg is worlds slower and takes up worlds more memory than rpm.

...and buys you much more in the bargain.

Would you rather spend the extra few seconds loading the
/var/lib/dpkg/status file or the hours resolving RPM dependencies?  It's
been suggested that apt be reworked to cache the status file to a
database format for faster loading and access.  Note that when
processing multiple packages, dpkg loads the status file only once
(apt-get, however, doesn't).