Re: Filesystem layout and hi everybody

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 11:39:37PM -0600, Dave Thayer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 12:58:46AM -0400, S.Salman Ahmed wrote:
> > Why would you want to mount /usr read-only ?
>
> In addition to the security issues mentioned by other posters, for
> those of us without a UPS mounting large partitions r-o can save waiting
> for fsck to do its thing after a power flicker. It can be helpful to put
> anything which doesn't change frequently such as mp3 collections, apt
> archives, etc. on r-o partitions and only remount them r-w as needed.

and add this to your /etc/apt/apt.conf to make the remount automatic
when you use apt-get to install or upgrade something:

// Auto re-mounting of a readonly /usr
Pre-Invoke {"mount -o remount,rw /usr";};
Post-Invoke {"suidregister";};
Post-Invoke {"mount -o remount,ro /usr";};

the suidregister thing fixes my customized permissions for
suidregister unaware packages so the cron job don't complain about
failing to do so at 6:25.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/