Re: Filesystem layout and hi everybody

    EB>  and add this to your /etc/apt/apt.conf to make the remount
    EB> automatic when you use apt-get to install or upgrade something:
    EB>
    EB> // Auto re-mounting of a readonly /usr Pre-Invoke {"mount -o
    EB> remount,rw /usr";}; Post-Invoke {"suidregister";}; Post-Invoke
    EB> {"mount -o remount,ro /usr";};
    EB>
    EB> the suidregister thing fixes my customized permissions for
    EB> suidregister unaware packages so the cron job don't complain
    EB> about failing to do so at 6:25.

Thanks for the tip, Ethan. I was going to reply to the list asking how
to deal with apt-get and system upgrades, esp. since I run unstable all
the time and usually update the packages once a week or so, if /usr was
mounted ro.

Another question relating to FS layout and organization: which
partitions should be mounted NOSUID ? Someone on another (local) mailing
list recommended that I mount /home NOSUID as a security precaution.

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com

http://www.pathcom.com/~ssahmed
GnuPG Key fingerprint = A6DB 6C85 DE5A 33BB E873  E437 58B2 09CD 977B 900B