Re: Help: Screwed up LILO MBR

Tim Wood <tleathley@nospam.yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> sorry if this is a bit of a saga but please bear with me.
>
> [snip]
>
> Can anybody suggest a way to get back Win98 on /dev/hda1 and, more to
> the point, suggest a way to be able to boot /dev/ha1, /dev/hda5 and
> /dev/hda2?

Apart from `man lilo` and `zless /usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz`
(or similar) you mean ;-)?

Boot into debian (I don't know RH, that's why) from a floppy and
change /etc/lilo.conf to read along the following lines:

boot=/dev/hda
delay=20
default=Win98
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Debian
        root=/dev/hda2
image=/vmlinuz
        label=RedHat
        root=/dev/hda5
other=/dev/hda1
        label=Win98

You probably don't want to touch what is already there and replace
/vmlinuz with the appropriate value for your RedHat system.  If all
that's done, run `/sbin/lilo -t` to see if the config file is OK and
then `/sbin/lilo -s`.  You're done.

When rebooting you have 2 seconds (20 deciseconds) at the LILO prompt
to hit a shift, ctrl or alt key.  Hit the tab key to get a list of
options or just enter one of the labels you stuck in /etc/lilo.conf.
That should get you booted into what you want, barring major goofs
from me.

Hope that helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development