Re: Filesystem layout and hi everybody

From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net>
To: Gregg C <debian_user@hotmail.com>
CC: jon@ai.mit.edu, debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Filesystem layout and hi everybody
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 19:03:28 -0800

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 10:34:23PM -0400, Gregg C wrote:
> Why split /usr amd /usr/local if they're just partitions on the same drive? > I could see doing that if they were on seperate disks to gain a little bump
> in access speed.

so if you decide to reinstall the OS clean you can run mkfs on / /usr
/var and any /tmps without losing locally compiled software and user
home directories (/home)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/

Yeah, a /home is always a good idea, particularly if you don't have quotas. But I would rather just tar /usr/local and restore aftwards. If you are restoring exactly what you had before then either method would be fine, but if the new install includes updates to ext2, glibc, or other libs, etc you might be better off just recompiling to avoid any potential problems. That would depend on how much of a pain recompiling is vs how serious one is about the system in question.