Re: Why should I use Debian?

Yo!
Thank's for your reply and your suggestions, there's a lot there for me
to take into consideration and I am now going to make a new installation
from scratch.

A few comments:

^chewie wrote:

[snip]
> On to the meat of the suggestion.  First, we need better details about
> why you think Debian is a "mess"....[snip]
I never said *Debian is a mess*, my installations turned out to end up
being a total mess is what I meant.

[snip]
>     There's an added advantage of being able to install a smaller set
>     of packages at a time, allowing yourself more intimate knowledge
>     of the packages themselves and the success or failure of their
>     installation.
You are right, that's how I've made my best Linux installations.

[snip]
> 5.  Realize up front that package installations WILL fail from time to
>     time.
>
>     Expecting this up front will save you a bit of a headache.
I've been a Linux user long enough to know that a failed package
installation is *almost* as common as those that are 100%
successful...:-/

> 6.  Report to this email list your SPECIFIC concerns.
>
>     We really can't help out with requests like the one you put forth.
>     Sorry, but we're not mind-readers
Perhaps you didn't notice that I had only one question:

>> Are there bugs in dselect?

I got a reply from Henrique: Yes, see <http://bugs.debian.org/dselect>

Thank's again.
Regards,