Dual booting between different distros

Hi world:

I have actually succeeded in loading two different distros on my pure Linux box
(read no M$): Linux-Mandrake and Storm (a debian-based system). The
arrangement seems fine. X/KDE and Gnome all work! The only problem is that I
can't <modprobe> or <insmod> in Storm.

The reason: <modprobe> can't find the modules.

Proof (aside from the fact that the module loading failed): Output mentions
something about a missing  "2.2.16-9mdk" directory. "mdk" is, as every Mandrake
user knows, Mandrake's nickname (You know it's a Mandrake if it has an "mdk" in
it.). I also took a peek at "modules.dep." A typical line reads:

</lib/modules/2.2.16-9mdk/fs/binfmt_java.o:>

The question: short of recompiling, is there any way I can redirect <modprobe>
and its associated programs to the proper modules directory?

Side question: where precisely does Linux store its directory information?