X problem with 2.2.17

I'm been running a potato system for some time with 2.2.16.  I just
installed the patch for 2.2.17 from linux.kernel.org, ran 'make
oldconfig' and created a .deb with make-kpkg.  There were no errors in
this process, although I did notice some warnings I had not seen
before.

The new kernel seems to run fine in a text console, but if I start X, I
get four tiled copies of my screen and the mouse cursor is a big
smudge.  Are there some new "features" in 2.2.17 which affect XFree86?
I use xserver-svga.

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen