Re: stupid question

%% Bob Bernstein <poobah@ruptured-duck.com> writes:

  >> Some people really seem to dislike them and I can't see why.
  >> Useless eye candy?  Wasteful of resources when unused? Potential
  >> security hole?

  bb> I avoid them because of precisely the sort of problem our
  bb> interlocutor is having. There are many tasks I prefer to do in the
  bb> console, but I do as a rule live in X. So the compromise for me is
  bb> to go back and forth quickly and easily, which means deepsix-ing
  bb> xdm and its cousins.

Hmm.  I have no opinions on display managers, really; at work I don't
use one but at home I use GDM, so my wife, who's a Windows person, can
reboot or shut down the system without remember how to login as root
(GDM has a reboot selection on the login screen).

Anyway, going back and forth between X and the tty in Linux is best
accomplished (IMO) with C-A-F1,2,3,4 etc., vs. C-A-F7, so the use or
non-use of a display manager shouldn't have anything to do with
this... ?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development