Re: stupid question

Bob Bernstein said:
> I avoid them because of precisely the sort of problem our interlocutor is
> having. There are many tasks I prefer to do in the console, but I do as a
> rule live in X. So the compromise for me is to go back and forth quickly and
> easily, which means deepsix-ing xdm and its cousins.

If going back and forth between 'in X' and 'at a text console, but with X
still running offscreen' is good enough for you, try Ctrl-Alt-Fn (for n =
1-6)i and Alt-F7 to get back to X.  If you feel the need to go between
'in X' and 'X not running', then getting rid of *dm is appropriate (though
you could also use `/etc/init.d/*dm stop`, do your console stuff, and
`/etc/init.d/*dm start`).

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+