Re: stupid question

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 12:42:08AM -0400, Mark Simos wrote:

> and yes, there are stupid questions, but there are those of use who
> prefer to ask than to remain in a stupid state for a more prolonged
> period :)

I'm with you. I try to ask at least one 'big dummy' question per month. Some
would aver I exceed that number on a regular basis.

> How do you unload X from memory long enough to edit the XF86Config file
> manually so that I can change the resolution. It says in vi that it is
> read-only when I am root (I expect that is because X is running and
> using it...)

It sounds like:

a) the permissions on XF86Config are not correct. Check it out.

b) you are running xdm or gdm or kdm or some other horrible variant of that
horrible program. Yes? In which case the only advice I have is to get rid of
it and return to a sane existence. dpkg -r xdm

--
Bob Bernstein            "Sufficiently advanced file sharing systems
at                        should be indistinguishable from corporate