Re: I hosed my network

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 11:39:22PM -0500, Cliff Rice wrote:

:First, thanks for the reply. The only changes were the recent updates
:in potato wrt to Netscape and libc.  However, before I was working on
:my ipchains rule sets.  At times the link would fail, which I ascribed
:to some bad rules.  So... it was flaky starting last week.  Not
:sure if it matters but the ipchains -L command would get stuck at
:times.  From the error messages,  it at first glance seems that my
:routing is messed up.  The routing tables *seem* OK, but of course
:I could be overlooking something, which is what I wanted to have
:double checked.  If the routing is OK, then yes, the cable could be
:bad or even one of the cards, I suppose.

Try removing ipchains from the equation, (ipchains -F will do it) this
will make it clear if the rules are at fault.

:> In either case are there link lights on your ethernet cards and are
:> they lit?  maybe we wire went bad.
:
:Well the link light is on, but the ACK and COL lights are not on .
:The ACK light may indicate something, but I'd reckon the COL light
:means "collision" which I supoose should not be on.

The link light is a good indication that the cable not bad (don't know
if it's 100%, but close)  ACK is probably the activity indicator,
unfortunate but not surprising that you don't see any.

The routing is fine, the entry for 127.0.0.0 on thor's lo is odd,
maybe a woody thing, but shouldn't get you any trouble, you need to
add leif (is that the other machine's name) as a gateway if you want
it to do ip masq, but that's only one the net is back up...

Hope it's your ipchains,
Jon