Re: Help with Installation...

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 11:32:49PM -0700, Gutierrez Family wrote:
> Following your advice, I linked /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux.  Now X starts up
> !!  However, I have a new obstacle to clear...
>
> X starts as expected via "startx", but the mouse will NOT respond.  I have
> run "xf86config" several times, each time choosing a different mouse (to see
> if I get lucky with others), but no good.  Here's a clue:  the last error
> message from the X server says:
>
> "Warning: /dev/psaux unable to get status of mouse fd (Inappropriate ioctl
> for device)"
>
> Any ideas on how to resolve this one?!?
>
> Thanks again.

Well, you reported that the kernel reported that it detected a PS/2
mouse at boot.  If this is correct, then your mouse is a PS/2 (small
round plug vs. old serial port mouse or USB??).  Anyway, so /dev/psaux
should be correct.  At least two things come to mind why it won't work.

1.  If you have gpm running, is sometimes can interfere with X using the
mouse.  This sounds like it might be the case.  First, try killing gpm
by running '/etc/init.d/gpm stop' (as root, of course).  Then try again.
If that's the problem, then we can worry about having the two get along.

2.  You have not selected the correct mouse protocol.  Sometimes PS/2
mice require a different X mouse driver than PS/2.  This'd be the
"Protocol" part for the mouse in /etc/X11/XF86Config.  Some
possibilities include trying "Microsoft", "IntelliMouse", "MouseMan".

I suspect gpm, though.

If you don't have a PS/2 mouse then...

--
/bin/sh ~/.signature: