Re: stupid question

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 12:42:08AM -0400, Mark Simos wrote:
> and yes, there are stupid questions, but there are those of use who
> prefer to ask than to remain in a stupid state for a more prolonged
> period :)
>
> How do you unload X from memory long enough to edit the XF86Config file
> manually so that I can change the resolution. It says in vi that it is
> read-only when I am root (I expect that is because X is running and
> using it...)

Edit at will. You can even edit it while in an X session.  It's only
read when X starts up.  If the file, for some odd reason, is -r--r--r--,
then you can chmod 644 /etc/X11/XF86Config. vi might let you override
this with :w!, but maybe not.

> I have done the ctrl-alt-backspace thing, but it keeps rerunning it
> immediately.

1. Log out of your X session (you apparently have xdm or something
running).
2. Switch to a virtual terminal Ctrl-Alt-F[1..6] .
3. Log in as root
4. Run '/etc/init.d/xdm restart' (If your using gdm or wdm change the
name accordingly).

If you've messed with font servers or X's configuration to them, you
might need to restart them.  Same thing for them (as with most daemons).

$ /etc/init.d/xfs restart

You always have to have root priveledges to do these. Note: if updating
your font servers, I suggest stopping your display manager
$ /etc/init.d/xdm stop
and then restarting the font servers, then restart xdm | gdm | <other>.

The display manager may get angry and crash if you restart a font server
while it's running ;-]

--
/bin/sh ~/.signature:
Command not found