Re: X login keeps repeating

Mark Simos <MSimos@POBox.com> writes:
MS> I am messing around with debian 2.2 in a VMware window in my win2k box,
MS> so it is all in vga mode and that is cool with me. i do have a weird
MS> problem going on though...
MS>
MS> when i install a window manager (xdm, gdm, etc.):

(ObNitpick: that's a *display* manager.  A *window* manager is a
program like twm, fvwm, AfterStep, Enlightenment, Sawfish, &c. that
puts "decorations" like title bars and borders on windows.)

MS> it prompts me for user/pass at boot.
MS> I enter it.
MS> it prompts me for user/pass
MS> I enter it
MS> it prompts me for user pass

Hmm.  Can you log in from a text console?  If so, the problem might be
in your X login scripts; check what gets run out of $HOME/.xsession,
that that file is executable, and so forth.  Are any informative error
messages left in $HOME/.xsession-errors?  Does typing 'startx' from
your text console work?  (You might need to stop your display manager
['/etc/init.d/xdm stop' as root] and/or use 'startx -- :1' to get a
different X display.)

MS> you get the idea, it loops. this happens regardless of root or my
MS> account. I have no clue what would cause this to happen. I can usually
MS> do a ctrl-alt-backspace and a quick alt-f2 that will get me to another
MS> text box and let me reboot or uninstall the package, but it sucks that i
MS> can't use a window manager

You can switch to a text console with Ctrl+Alt+Fn for 1<=n<=6 from X,
without killing the X server.  Ctrl+Alt+F7 will get you back to the X
login screen.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell