X login keeps repeating

I am messing around with debian 2.2 in a VMware window in my win2k box,
so it is all in vga mode and that is cool with me. i do have a weird
problem going on though...

when i install a window manager (xdm, gdm, etc.):

it prompts me for user/pass at boot.
I enter it.
it prompts me for user/pass
I enter it
it prompts me for user pass
.
.
.

you get the idea, it loops. this happens regardless of root or my
account. I have no clue what would cause this to happen. I can usually
do a ctrl-alt-backspace and a quick alt-f2 that will get me to another
text box and let me reboot or uninstall the package, but it sucks that i
can't use a window manager

Many thanks in advance!

Mark

--