Re: Linux crashed a lot - more info

debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org on 09/01/2000 12:08:02 PM

This is scary. I had a problem similar to this on my old work computer. Netscape
would crash all the time, xterms wouldn't start, library errors, compiling
errors, ftp checksums incorrect, etc. The system never crashed but was very
unreliable. Turns out the memory was bad, after running some test programs I got
from http://freshmeat.net.

So, I replaced the memory, and it worked alright for 2 months, then, it started
having problems again. New NIC, same problems. I tried replacing many different
pieces but to no luck. Finally, I just switched machines and no problems.
Unfortunately this sounds like you have a similar scenrio.

My only advice is to try and narrow it down to one piece of hardware. Swap in
and out parts (if you have them available) one at a time and see if the problem
persists.

Linux has always been extrememly stable for me, minus this one spooked
computer:)

Scott

Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:28:43 -0500
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@ukans.edu>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Linux crashes a lot - more info

I should have included some specs. I guess I was too frustrated to think of
that...

Hardware:
500MHz Athlon (NO overclocking, no overheating)
96MB RAM  (appended 96M in LILO, and accounted for in 'free')
ATI Rage Pro (8MB)

Software:
Debian 2.2 (Potato net-installation)
128MB Swap
XF86_Mach64 X server (set to 1024x768 resolution)

I'm able to compile a kernel without crashing. I don't know if Windows will
run on it, because it's a dedicated Linux machine. Before I installed
Potato, I had Corel Linux (Slink) installed. Although I was using KDE, it
crashed just as often - usually under the same conditions, but I thought it
was KDE.

Let me know if there is other information I should provide. If it's in the
logs, which logs should I look in? I know Linux isn't supposed to crash
this often, but from people's reactions, there really is something wrong
here...

John