Re: Console based Word Processor

On 01-Sep-00 Joseph C. Tuttle wrote:
>> On 27, aug, 2000 at 10:00:48 +0518, USM Bish wrote:
>> I've just this last weekend heard about WordPerfect for UNIX in
>> version 5.something being on the CD you could buy of WordPerfect 8!
>
> I've heard this before, but I haven't been able to find WP 5.x on
> either of the two WP 8 CDs I have.  I'd be happy to find it, though,
> because I believe the DOS version of WP 5.1 was one of the best
> software products ever created.
> So, if any of y'all know where it can be found exactly, please let me
> know.

Seconded! When WP was "windowised" to WP6 it lost a lot which has never
come back. In particular, proper printer handling of international
characters is one: WP6/7/8 has only one font for all these, different
from the fonts for ASCII/iso-Latin1, and it looks awful (if it works at
all).

A candy GUI is no substitute for doing a proper job (though I have to
admit that the WordPerfect GUI is better than the Word Imperfect one).

If I could get WP5 for UNIX up on Linux I'd run for it!

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 284 7749
Date: 01-Sep-00                                       Time: 17:06:02