Re: sunrpc

Debian Ghost <debian@ghost.net.cfw.com> writes:

> Dear Olaf,
> Thank you for the reply!
> I am not so sure I understand what RPC servers are.

Same here :-(

> Does it have something to do with an NFS type service?

Yes, I remember I had to put portmap in my /etc/hosts.allow to get NFS
to work.  I have ALL:ALL in /etc/hosts.deny.

> I do not know that I use any RPC servers or services. That
> is why I am considering turning down the sunrpc service.

Thinking about this myself too, but I'm not sure what's gonna break.

> Would this be wise?

If you don't need it, yes.  Just junk all servers you don't need.  I'd
even consider purging them ;-)

> Thanks!

No thanks.  BTW, you cc'd to debin-user :-)

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development