Re: LI after Install

Getting a prompt like "LI" or "LIL" is a situation from
where the  system just  cannot  boot from the hard disk
because the LILO code placed in the MBR is broken.  The
solution to this problem lies in fixing the Master Boot
Record.

You have no option but to  boot from the  back-up disks
that you created during installation.

The options available to you are:

a) Re-write MBE with lilo  after booting from  back-up
   disk, if you made one. You may do a   lilo -v -t to
   test what lilo is going to do, and then run lilo to
   write the MBR.

   OR

b) Boot from debian rescue disk image (available on all
   distros if you installed from CD).  You can actually
   do a part re-installation  by going through the last
   section of the installation menu after mounting your
   partitions. This is the only recourse,  where you do
   NOT have a boot disk  specifically  created for your
   system and you prefer to have Lilo  only to do  your
   boot management.

   OR

c) You also have the option of returning the MBR to DOS
   for a dual OS system.  All you need to do is to boot
   from the DOS/ Win-9x rescue disk and do a FDISK /MBR
   so that the MBR is back with DOS/ Windows.. You will
   be able to boot into DOS / Windows at least. Install
   Loadlin through DOS/ Win-9x and then boot your Linux
   partition via Loadlin. Please look at  Loadlin  docs
   for instructions about how to boot multiple OSs thru
   config.sys/ autoexec.bat

USM Bish