Re: filtering out ads

David dithered,

> On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 12:33:21PM -0400, Owen G. Emry wrote:

> > Interested in hearing different strategies for blocking ads.  Presently I
> > use a mixture of input-chain firewall rules and redirection in my
> > /etc/hosts file.

> > Since I'm running DNS for my LAN, is there a way to set it up to block ads?

> > Also, there's one ad system I haven't figured out how to block:  I've seen
> > many ads that have URLs "ads.admonitor.net" but nslookup claims this is a
> > nonexiststant host/network, so I can't add it to my firewalling rules.  Any
> > ideas?

> Check out junkbuster:

> I've installed it, but not yet adjusted the configuration.

I added a group junkbuster, then made /etc/junkbuster and it's contents
a member with g+rwx permissions.  An alias vj then edits the junkbuster
settings from my user account.

Quite simply, when something blinks at me, I grab the url of the
offendingimage, and ad part of its address (hopefully enough to block
similar schemes) to the blockfile.  I don't block ads, but rather
annoying blinking things, or things that take so long to load that they
hold up page rendering (generally ads from overwhelmed servers).

It's also great for dealing with cookies.  You can specifiy which
domains *are* allowed to set cookies.

hawk