Re: cable connection stopped working

First of all, I just got the connection working. Thanks to all.
Using the correct NIC driver did the trick, though note that I did try
two different NICs earlier this week with negative results.
To sum up: isapnp 3c509 no longer works (although the driver reports
no errors), pci NDC card with tulip driver similarly, 3c905b works.

As for your questions, I would like to answer them but don't know how.
My /etc/network/interfaces does have a "gateway" entry in the eth0 section,
it is similar to my ip address but the last number is different.
-chris