Re: net install of staroffice 5.2

Text inserted in quotes below....

R: net install of staroffice 5.2

marco.frattola@cubecom.it (marco frattola)

25 Aug 2000 19:16:02 +0800

debian-user@lists.debian.org

hi sergio,
thank you for your answer

> One or two days ago I had the same problem.
> First I installed SO *without* the /net switch. It generated
you mean you ran the so52-..-xx.bin file, right?

When I installed I used the /net switch when installing the so52.....bin

> two files in the home directory of every user that started > the setup program, the files being ".sversionrc" and ".user52.rdb".

uhm, i'm almost sure i've never found those 2 files you mention ..
but i'll check it.

> Having encountered the problem you mentioned, I removed all > of SO's installation > (/usr/local/office52 in my case), as well as the mentioned files. > Then I installed it again with the /net switch. From that > moment on, every user could do a "workstation installation". > > To sum it up: > > 1) do a clean install with the /net switch

this is my problem .. how do i do this? the so52-..-xx.bin file doesn't
accept switch .. and after it's done, the setup script will not allow me
to use the net switch. how do you do this? using the bin file or the
script?

i have the impression we don't have the same staroffice archive .. where
did you get yours?

I think I've installed the so52 bin file you have. I used the /net switch and it installed fine. It defaulted to root's home directory. I changed this to the dir I installed so51 in.
example:
so51:
 o - /usr/local/Office51
so52:
 o - set to install in /usr/local
 o - install created subdir and installed in:
  o - /usr/local/office52
  o - (note case difference)

> 2) remove any existing configuration files in the home > directories of the users
>    that tried to install SO
> > 3) run setup as user > > I did this without looking at existing doc, so my explanation > may not be 100% accurate. If you do have another explanation > just tell me. > > Anyway, hope the above mentioned will help you. i hope so. the procedure you outline is exactly the procedure i followed
with
so51. but i can't do that with so52

i hope you don't mind if i cc the list, just in case somebody is interested
in this
problem.

thanks for your help

Marco Frattola (Pianificazione processi) - Cubecom S.p.A.
Via de Marini,1 3 piano Torre WTC
16149 GENOVA
tel. 010 6591184

Upon install goto the /usr/local/office52/program (the program dir under where you installed office52) and run : ./setup as a user rather than the root account (unless you are setting up the so called 'workstation' for the root user as well, of course)
This will detect your Office51 install and upgrade blah blah....

I am replying from the digest and am rather a few days behind so I appologize if the question has been answered already. If not then I hope I helped.

Feel free to email me or reply to this list if I was not as clear as I hoped to be,
-Justin