Packages I Don't want to upgrade

OK, this should be simple...

There are a number of packages (XF86 3.3.6) that are 'installed' in my
system - but are not really installed.  In fact, they are only in the
dpkg database.  I did a manual install of XF86 4.0.1 from tarballs quite
a while ago.

However, I have no desire to 'upgrade' the XF83 3.3.6 debs, since they
overwrite the tarball installation.

I'm sure there is a way in Debian to flag certain packages to not
upgrade, and I would appreciate any instructions on this.

Also - I know there is a XF4 deb packaging project, and it's rather...
alpha.  Is there at least a meta-package that will meet all the XF86
dependancies, and not be overwritten by XF86 3 debs?  (Meaning, it meets
the deps for it, but it'll let me use the existing tarball installation
from XF86.org?)

Thanks,

Troy
 Telford

--
Brain:
Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?

Pinky:
I think so brain, but if we were meant to fly, wouldn't we have been born
with a bag of peanuts?