Re: problems installing

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 05:15:09PM -0500, George Frederick Viamontes wrote:
> I'm trying to install debian for the first time.  I've attempted booting
> up with the rescue disk and a debian cd, but both times the startup
> sequence locks up at the same point.
> I get a line that says:
>
> NCR53c406a: no available ports found
>
> That's the point at which the startup crashes.  Someone at ndlug (notre
> dame's lug) mentioned that it may be some kind of unsupported hardware
> problem though he wasn't sure what exactly it was.
> I have a pentium II 300, 64 megs of ram, a quantum fireball 6.4G hard
> drive, an older Toshiba DVD drive, an ATI all in wonder graphics card, and
> an old ISA 3Com 509 ethernet card.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The message looks to me as if it's coming from the ethernet card.  You
might try removing it and rebooting to see if the system still hangs.

If this is the case you may want to research the card and/or other
hardware through Google or Deja for configuration hints.

There are LILO boot options to prevent autoprobing for devices, though I
don't recall them offhand.  Check the Boot-Prompt-HOWTO.