Querying and managind daemons

Hallo...

I've read the Debian FAQ, the Debian guide... And the manpage of
start-stop-daemon... And I still don't know how to do this:

- I was to know which daemons were started and are now running... A
  simple list of them. (like apache, omniorb, gpm, etc... Just the
  names are enough)

I thought I could use start-stop-daemon for this, but although the man
page says it is possible, it seems, from the synopsis, that I have to
necessarily use --start or --stop. Also, when I use the --user option,
I have to specify which daemon I want... But that's exactly what I'd
like to know -- which daemons are running. :-)

ps doesn't seem to help, either...

I've heard from someone who's beginning with Debian that Red Hat has
some sort of tool for this. One can check which services are active,
and change that... And also configure which services will be activated
at startup. I sort of didn't know what to say... I know how to change
the scripts called at startup time, but I never thought about querying
running daemons...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil