2 questions package installs and TCP/IP startup script

All,

I am sure these are pretty easy questions, but I am running out ideas.

1.
I am trying to install vim on a really bare installation of Debian. I
have internet access that routes and resolves names fine.

When I type "apt-get install vim vim-rt" or just about any other package
name i see listed on Debian's site, i get back "E: Couldn't find package
vim"

I don't know where to begin troubleshooting this...

2.
Also I am not quite sure where to put my "ifconfig eth0....." and "route
add default...." statements so they run on bootup

Thank you and please forgive my windows roots :),

Mark

--
Mark Anthony Simos, MCSE
Poet, Playwright, Swing Dancer