Re: Helix Gnome Evolution 0.3

Andrew Sullivan <sullivana@bpl.on.ca> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 09:03:57PM +0200, Felix Natter wrote:
>
> > It seems like it will be better and surely safer than Outlook,
>
> Why better and, most particularly, why safer?  Given that GNOME is
> built to allow components to interact with one another via scripting,
> there is no reason to suppose that the same problems faced by MS
> Office could not find their way into a GNOME environment.  Once you
> start building tools to make their interaction apparently seamless,
> you face the possibility that someone is going to exploit that
> seamlessness.  There is nothing magical about Free software that
> makes it immune to those problems.

1. If you install the program often (as in a company for example), you
can customize it to turn off some features without the user having the
ability to decide.

2. I have heard about many security-problem using Outlook/IE. With
open-source, there is no point in hiding information about potential
weaknesses of the software, there is no pressure to introduce new features
in the stable version (which should lead to more stable releases) and bugs
can be fixed more quickly.

--
Felix Natter