Re: Helix Gnome Evolution 0.3

> > >Hi, I was reading today on slashdot about Evolution 0.3.  They have a
> > download link for the tar.gz file.  I was wondering if the apt-get
> utility
> > will work if I use the spidermonkey.helixgnome.com source for the
> update?
> > Has anyone else tried this?

No, this won't work.  You can (or could), however, add a line to
/etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/evolution/distributions/Debian ./

so just do:  su; echo "deb
http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/evolution/distributions/Debian ./" >>
/etc/apt/sources.list; apt-get update; apt-get install evolution

and maybe apt-get upgrade as well in case the dependancies don't reflect
new versions of stuff.

> I don't think that Evolution is targeted towards experienced users. I
> think
> the purpose of it is to get some Windows-users to switch to linux, and to
> provide an MS-exchange server. It seems like it will be better and surely
> safer than Outlook, so there is much reason for windows-users to switch
> linux/GNOME. It would be great if evolution could use for example the
> GIMP
> ui (many windows), but in that case it might not succeed in providing an
> easy replacement for Outlook.

I think that i agree, kinda.  Perhaps not on the "safe" part (i agree with
the later mail on that subject) but i do believe evolution is geared toward
people migrating.  My hope is that it will first be better implimented (and
safer) and then be developed to accomodate advanced users as well and fit
different UI tastes.

> afaik there are other programs for experienced users (balsa ?, (x)emacs
> with VM/Gnus ...).

Spruce is an extremely good mail client when it comes to the smarter
programs that we look for in GNOME and GTK apps.  It could use some work,
but has come extremely far and I currently use it for all of my email
needs.  The latest stable version, 0.6.5, is not in the debian archive for
some reason, but can be found on my webserver at:

http://silverchair.futureks.net/~solomon/spruce_0.6.5-1_i386.deb
(packaged on woody)

I'm just about to try Pronto, which just appeard in woody.  From the
description, it looks very cool.  I'm excited :D

--
Jared Johnson
solomon@futureks.net

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
So twice five miles of fertile ground
With walls and towers were girdled round:
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
And here were forest ancient as the hills,
Enfolding sunny spots of greenery.
		-- S.T. Coleridge, "Kubla Kahn"