X and Console in the same News/E-mail program?

Hey all.

I've been thinking (dangerous) recently about what I'd like in a news and e-mail reader.

I'd like them both to be X based, for the most part, but it would be handy if there was a secondary curses (or other console) based interface, for when I telnet into my box remotely.
Is such a thing being done, or even practical?

On a similar vein, can anyone recommend a good GUI news reader (I'm thinking about knews, but the review I read of it said it can't handle inline images very well), and a good, eudora-like e-mail reader? I'd MUCH prefer not to get into a holy war about the mail readers, let's just agree to disagree on some things, and leave it at that.

Thanks!
Adam
Toronto, Ontario, Canada