Re: Helix Gnome Evolution 0.3

Hans <hansfong@zonnet.nl> writes:

> At 12:03 PM 7/28/00 -0400, Ethan Pierce wrote:
> >Hi, I was reading today on slashdot about Evolution 0.3.  They have a
> download link for the tar.gz file.  I was wondering if the apt-get utility
> will work if I use the spidermonkey.helixgnome.com source for the update?
> Has anyone else tried this?
> >
> >Thanks -Ethan
> >

> >--
> /dev/null
> >

> I don't want to start a war here, but what's so great about Evolution? It
> looks more like a regression to me. It imitates M$ in more than one way: it
> looks like it, has the same bloat factor and packs way to many features in
> a single frame. Where is the innovation? I switched from KDE to Gnome
> because I saw smarter programs being developed by the Gnome team, but after
> seeing Gnumeric and now this Evolution I start to doubt.

I don't think that Evolution is targeted towards experienced users. I think
the purpose of it is to get some Windows-users to switch to linux, and to
provide an MS-exchange server. It seems like it will be better and surely
safer than Outlook, so there is much reason for windows-users to switch to
linux/GNOME. It would be great if evolution could use for example the GIMP
ui (many windows), but in that case it might not succeed in providing an
easy replacement for Outlook.

afaik there are other programs for experienced users (balsa ?, (x)emacs
with VM/Gnus ...).

--
Felix Natter