Re: Sending mail via exim: spooky....

Phillip Deackes schrieb:

> I posted some information on this recently. I am sending it again:

I'm sorry. My attention was completely captured by another thread...

> My machine's name (hostname) is scgf. If I look in /etc/hosts I see:
>
> 127.0.0.1       scgf localhost
>
> In /etc/hostname:
>
> scgf
>
> scgf does not exist in the real world, just on my machine. Your Linux
> machine needs a name. Be kind and give it a name.

So my machine's name is "woof"...

> To help you understand what I have written below, my real-world email
> address is gsmh@gmx.co.uk.
>
> My /etc/exim.conf it set up like this (there is a lot more besides, of
> course, but these lines are relevant to this thread):
>
> qualify_domain = gmx.co.uk

For me: qualify_domain = netway.at

> qualify_recipient = scgf.gmx.co.uk
> local_domains = localhost:scgf.gmx.co.uk

My version of exim (2.05-2) seems to be unfamiliar with your dot
notation, so my entries are like this:

        qualify_recipient = woof
        local_domains = localhost:woof

> host_accept_relay = localhost

This option doesn't appear in my exim.conf, but it seems that it
doesn't matter in my case.

> The above lines ensure that all outgoing mail appears to come from
> user@gmx.co.uk. Local mail is delivered locally and does not leave my
> system. All incoming mail from my ISP, collected by fetchmail, is
> detected by Exim and is delivered according to the filters in my
> ~/.forward file.
>
> If you follow my example, your mail system should work OK.

Well, I have to check local deliveries like system messages, but
sending remote mail works fine now! Thank you very much.

Andreas