RE: Hosts.all/Hosts.deny vs. a firewall?]

> Andrew,
>
> I also have proftpd running but it was _not_ called from inet.conf.
> I added the line like you suggested.  I also confirmed I have tcp
> wrappers installed.  After that I nmap'd myself and I see a several
> listings that are not in the inet.conf..where can I turn these off?
>
> 111/tcp	open	Sunrpc
> 113/tcp	open	auth  <--- need that one?
> 515/tcp	open	printer
> 6000/tcp	open	X11

'auth' typically isn't needed for operation - sometimes it actually slows
things down (turing 'auth' off drastically imporved the speed of my web
server!)  You should be able to stop it with "/etc/init.d/identd stop" as
root.

The 'printer' service is provided by /etc/init.d/lprng - it's run at
startup.  Ditto with sunrpc.  X11 is for remote access to your GUI display
system.

> Additionally, I noticed that smtp is not called like ftp is with the
> /usr/sbin/tcpd first, it's just called /usr/sbin/exim....does this
> mean that hosts.deny would not protect that port?

Likely not.

> (getting a little confused here)

System security can be very confusing.

Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien