Potato Freeze problem more clear...

Hello all,

Well I've noticed that noone has yet to reply to my problem, most likely because of its complexity.  I've been able to narrow down the problem however:

1.) The system freezes only when the network is up
2.) Best guess is that it occurs when so much data has passed through the ethernet adaptor
3.) This occasionally causes hard drive "inode errors" as previously noted, likely when the system freeze just so happens to
        occur at the same time the system is writing to disk.

4.) This same eth adaptor (Netgear) had previously been used as eth1 on a Slink system, and would suddenly "drop out" with
         no notice while handling massive data transfers on the local network.

5.) The other eth adaptor used to be error prone on the previous (slink) system, and therefore was not put to use with the
        Potato system ("eth0 transfer timed out 73654e0 vs (7352474)" or other such random characters reported to syslog)

In reference to #1- recent reboots (which previously brought the network back up) have stopped bringing the network back up.  Ping/telnet/etc works only to the machine's IP address and 'localhost'.... "no route to host" error is displayed for all others.  With no network- the system has had over a day of uptime.

My best bet I suppose is to buy a better (expensive) eth adaptor... but any thought would be appreciated before I part with 80 bucks for a 3com.

Thanks
Mike