Re: Proposal for Hardware Autodetection

Quoting Daniel Migowski (Mig-O@Artis.Uni-Oldenburg.de):
> Hi, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira.
>
> > I have a website in Brazil (www.olinux.com.br) OLinux with news,
> > programs, security, programming, interviews, games sections at one of the main
> > brazilian's portal: UOL.
>
> I just looked at it. Looks nice, but I'm not able to check the contents, my spanish(?) isn't
> that good :).
	It's in portuguese! Not spanish! :) Brazil speaks portuguese.

> > We only use Debian here but talk about others also.
> > Andre Souza (asouza@olinux.com.br) has made some single programs to
> > detect video, sound, onboard modem, 3DFx cards, pnp modems.
>
> Sounds cool. I'd like to check out, how you managed to do that. I will write Andre a mail, ans
> see, if he can send me the stuff, he made.

	Ok.
> >         We want to help in some manner, altought you are not developers... yet.
>
> I'm also no developer... yet. What exactly is an developer, btw. The cool thing with linux is,
> that everyone can contribute, and maybe, this is the part, where we can do :).

	I'm not a debian developer yet. But I want to contribute to this great
project that gets right the Linux/Open Source spirit of colaboration.
> >         I maintain a debian-br homepage about Debian in Brazil
> > (www.linuxsolutions.com.br/debian-br)
> >         With udpkg, modular installer and hardware detection, Debian will be
> > take the world. ;)
>
> Yeah *g*.
>
> >         Regards,                Paulo Henrique
>
> What do you thing about the idea of an contributed program, that checks PC's automatically for
> hardware, and sends the configuration back?
	I dont think this a problem. But you have to advise users about this
before they install. It can be a sort of lack of privacity. Recently Mandrake
made a world's call to people send modem' s configuration to help them to
improve PPP Mandrake's configuration.
	I dont think what debian list is best to discuss these sort of things.
	Remember that Progeny (www.progenylinux.com) is working in cool things
too.