Re: no ppp compression even though pppstats says VJCOMP; new in potato

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 11:55:44PM -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote
> BCC: dsb@smart.net
> --text follows this line--
>
> I don't seem to be getting any compression in ppp.
>
> Is there something extra I need to do in potato's ppp to fully
> enable compression?
>

> pppstats lists most packets in the VJCOMP column, seemingly
> indicating that it thinks packets are getting compressed.
>
> However, the maximum bytes per second I get when downloading
> a very compressible large web page is no larger than the bytes
> per second for uncompressible data.
>
> (I get about 3850 bytes per second raw speed (e.g., downloading
> a .gz file).
>
> The compressible web page used to download at around 11000 bytes
> per second on my previous slink system, but now it downloads at
> only 3850 bytes per second.)

Look elsewhere.  VJ compression applies to headers only, and
its impact will even in the best case be much less noticeable
than the numbers you quote here (at least, for packets containing
more than a few bytes of data).

This is much more likely to be an issue with your serial port
or modem setup, or perhaps your MRU (man pppd for details).

Good luck,

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au