Potato, iso9660 not supported by kernel

Using new potato CDs, I've managed to install the base system. Upon
rebooting, as prompted to after making a boot floppy, the CD rom is
inaccessible. The error message is "fs type iso9660 not supported by
kernel." I repeated the base install and carefully searched for iso9660
support, but couldn't find it, and the same error occurred upon rebooting.

I noticed several boot error messages similar to "depmod: Can't open
/lib/modules/2.2.5/modules.dep (No such file or directory)." Besides the CD
problem, the ethernet adaptor also fails to work.

Please advise me as to how I should proceed.

Sincerely,

Mat