Re: problem with installing Debian on a ide raid controler : PART 2

Oliver Kowalke wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I forgot to say that I want to install Debian 2.2 on a raid 0 array. So -
> installing Debian on a drive  on motherboard ide controler will not work.
> Maybe should I compile a new kernel with a driver for my ide raid controler
> card an put it on the boot floppy?

99% of those IDE raid controllers are indeed NOT raid, but standard ide
controllers that come with raid software. If this is the case(it is
difficult to determine wether or not the controller is hardware
sometimes, a good example is the Promise ATA raid controller you can
turn a standard promise ata controller into raid by just adding a piece
of circutry to it and flashing the bios.  If your "raid" card is infact
software based then it is not a "raid" card because the raid portion is
all software, since linux already has raid builtin to it, you don't need
the software even if you could use it on linux.

1) don't hold your breath on installing linux on an ide raid controller
2) You don't need to install the core OS onto raid  -- more on this
later
3) booting off a raid controller onto a raid set is extremely difficult
and only possible with certain controllers.

The problem - if the drives are in raid "mode", and the raid "driver" is
loaded after the system boots(or more accurate while it is booting) how
is the system supposed to boot off the drives if the driver is loaded
yet?)  This is possible using some hardware raid controllers(i've yet to
see a ide raid controller that can stand up to a scsi raid, not only
that but abit's quality control is crap)

In the past i have configured a dual drive systems for
raid1(mirroring).  One system was IDE the other was SCSI.  No raid
controllers were used.

what i did:

1) Setup identical partitioning schemes on both drives
2) Installed on drive 0, minimal installation
3) set up raid, rebooted so everything looked "good" on boot
4) finished installation to raid array

the root filesystem(what cannot be on raid unless under very special
circumstances) was only about 5megs.

here is a good quality hardware raid controller:
http://www.centrix-intl.com/ebay/2boxmegaraid428.htm

Compare some of the features with the abit..id be very suprised if that
highpoint raid chip was indeed hardware.

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336