Re: apt-get problem

i had a lot of install problems with apt-get on install

i succeeded in the end by only installing a few base packages. (X and gnome and dial-up utils) and the using apt-get to fill in the gaps.

At 11:26 PM 8/24/2000 -0500, T. Tilton wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have tried to install potato 2.2 r0 from the official CD's
>onto a completely new drive and am having problems with getting
>the install to complete.
>
>I booted from the binary CD #1 and went through the setup to install
>the distro on the new drive.  Then after hours of wading through and
>selecting all the additonal packages I wanted installed I started the
>"Install" procedure from dselect's initial menu screen.  Everything was
>going fine for a little while but then quite a few packages failed to
>completely install correctly.  Each of these failed packages had this
>text;
>

>syntax error at /usr/sbin/install-info line 122, near ")        unless"
>syntax error at /usr/sbin/install-info line 326, near "unless"
>Execution of /usr/sbin/install-info aborted due to compilation errors.
>

>printed to the screen.  I tried numerous things to get the packages
>to install completely. (i.e. apt-get -f install, apt-get --fix-broken
>dist-upgrade, dpkg -i <package> ...etc) none of this was successful.
>The installation aborted each time with the same error.
>
>I tried running install-info with the --version arguement and it
>failed producing the same 3 lines of error message.
>
>What is strange is I did an apt-get dist-upgrade on a
>system with slink installed and the upgrade went flawlessly.
>
>I am stuck here.  I have spent numerous hours trying to find what
>is wrong but have come up empty handed.  If anyone has any ideas
>I would be grateful to hear from them.
>
>Thanks a lot.
>
>Tracy Tilton
>

>--

WARNING -
This email is confidential and may contain copyright material.
If you are not the intended recipient of Capital Monitor's original e-mail,
please notify me by return e-mail, delete your copy of the message, and
accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Republication or re-dissemination, including posting to news groups or web
pages, is strictly prohibited without the express prior consent of Capital
Monitor Pty Ltd.

John Griffiths			Tel 02 6273 4899
Capital Monitor Pty Ltd		Fax 02 6273 4905
Press Gallery 			Mobile: 0412 690 643
Parliament House		e-mail: john@capmon.com
Canberra   ACT   2600		http://www.capmon.com
Australia			ICQ No: 7933859