Re: Login with user name in CAPS (offlist)

Ken Irving wrote:

> > I just logged in with my user name accidentelly in CAPS and the system
> > let me log in.  More suprisingly, everything that is printed on the
> > terminal is in CAPS, too, including everything I type in lower case.
> > Escape sequences for colorizing the terminal don't work either.  This
> > will work with both user accounts and root, but only on the console and
> > not with su (su reports an unknown user).
> >
> > Is this a bug or a feature?  Or is it a feature that used to be a bug?
>
> I tried doing this on a SuSE box, but it failed to log me in, perhaps
> because my password has both upper and lower case.  Presumably this would
> only work if your password is all lower (or all upper?) case, otherwise
> I can't see how the password would be validated.

Well, I discovered it when logging in as root on a box, that has no
password because it's not connected to anything and I'm still playing
with the configuration.  I then tried it out on my working machine which
has passwords in place, of course, but I typed the password in the right
case.  BTW, when I enter `LS`, I'll get an error message as expected,
but when I enter `ls`, which is echoed in upper case, I will get a
directory listing.  Obviously the system distinguishes between upper and
lower case, but everything gets printed in upper case.

MfG Viktor

PS: Back on the list.
--
Viktor Rosenfeld