DSL and Debian questions Round 2

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the responses.  I think I'm getting closer to
understanding what's going on.  So just a few more:

1.  After installing an ethernet card and making sure the corresponding
module gets loaded do I just runt the pppoe program and it'll do the
configuring?  Probably more to it than that huh? Do I need to worry
about the external modem that comes with the service re: drivers and
such?

2.  The firewall issue.  I've never set up a firewall.  Is there a
Debian package that will help with this?  Any advice?  I'm a little
surprised that this is any more of a problem with DSL than with a normal
dial up connection, anyone want to volunteer a little more info?  How
secure is the normal Debian installation?  I have occasional need to
telnet into my box from work, will this still be possible with a
firewall installed?

3.  The service I'm looking at claims 1.5 Mbps download and 256Kbps
upload -- is this fairly normal?

Again, I really appreciate all the responses to this and all the other
questions I've had.  Hopefully this'll be it until the modem gets here
and I all of sudden can't install it ;-)

David Bellows