Re: I've got me a sourceforge project for something I really don'tthink exists, but haven't much any coding experience

Brent Harding wrote:

> I don't think there's much of anything for linux to do streaming audio,
> (I mean broadcast it, plenty to play it, freeamp, mpg123, etc). There's
> nothing that has the ability to have a playlist that fades from 1 song to
> another like winamp in windows could. I've heard of icecast, but it doesn't
> let you talk live after songs, and the like, and broadcast it to the net.

You're probably better off helping on adding the features you want to
Icecast rather than starting a new project from scratch.  It sounds like
it does most of what you're looking for, and I'm sure others would enjoy
having voiceovers and crossfade available on Icecast too.

> There's so many Windows products, but you can spend thousands on, but
> nothing open source. Something usable over a remote connection would be
> nice, but you can't get audio over telnet. I wonder what the answer to this
> is? I can't get my sblive to overlap two mp3's, but it will do a wave over
> an mp3, at least with freeamp and mpg123.

Check out EsounD and ALSA, but here you're talking about output of two
PCM streams, not streaming over the net.

> I'd prefer something for use at the text console prompt to make the remote
> aspect easier. One could use hotkeys to add songs to a playlist, tell the
> program to broadcast the mike after a song finishes, and go on after you hit
> another key. I've not the greatest idea how to do coding for sound and stuff
> like that, I'd be more the want to be user of something like it. It'd be a
> thought for a revolution in linux.

I'm not sure how Icecast is controlled, but a text console control makes
sense.  Sound programming can be tough, which is why I suggest adding to
an existing project rather than starting your own.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef