Re: Linux Mail Client (was: Re: Web browsers for Linux (was: Re: Netscape Bus Error))

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, John Pearson wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 07:31:07AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote
> >     Technically, yes.  However, if your boss says that work email is not to
> > touch outside SMTP servers as a matter of policy how far do you think "Well,
> > the SMTP server will route it correctly anyway, that is what they do" will
> > fly?  There are reasons other than technical to different servers.
>
> *sigh* bosses, bosses, bosses.  All other arguments in this thread
> aside, this one is a bit weird.  Does your boss realise that any
> non-local mail you send via your work SMTP server will be handed,
> unencrypted and with only the most rudimentary checks, to an outside
> SMTP server for forwarding or delivery?

Um, reverse that.  Steve was saying _work_ email touching _outside_
servers.  In other words, company email shouldn't pass thru outside mail
servers.  This is actually a sound practice, if a bit paranoid, but I can
understand the requirement.

I might have plonked Steve, but don't misstate what he asked.

Seth