Re: Linux Mail Client (was: Re: Web browsers for Linux (was: Re: Netscape Bus Error))

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 10:39:01PM -0700, Seth Cohn wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, John Pearson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 07:31:07AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote
> > >     Technically, yes.  However, if your boss says that work email is not to
> > > touch outside SMTP servers as a matter of policy how far do you think "Well,
> > > the SMTP server will route it correctly anyway, that is what they do" will
> > > fly?  There are reasons other than technical to different servers.
> >
> > *sigh* bosses, bosses, bosses.  All other arguments in this thread
> > aside, this one is a bit weird.  Does your boss realise that any
> > non-local mail you send via your work SMTP server will be handed,
> > unencrypted and with only the most rudimentary checks, to an outside
> > SMTP server for forwarding or delivery?
>
> Um, reverse that.  Steve was saying _work_ email touching _outside_
> servers.  In other words, company email shouldn't pass thru outside mail
> servers.  This is actually a sound practice, if a bit paranoid, but I can
> understand the requirement.
>
> I might have plonked Steve, but don't misstate what he asked.

Except the policy should be 'through outside networks' if they're
serious about it.

(Although your local ISP probably couldn't care less what the contents
of your mail are... if they have a different user that's been naughty,
perhaps the feds are using their new toys to snoop email even if it
doesn't touch the ISP's server.)

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting