Re: Mapping keys to console

>>>>> "Dave" == Dave A <anderson@webace.com.au> writes:

Dave> Hi, Can anyone help with this problem. I need to map keys to
Dave> mean different things depending on which console I am on. For
Dave> example, I need to have a menu screen on one session and an POS
Dave> order taker on the other.

Dave> Each has to have keys setup to mean different things. So far it
Dave> appears that linux only supports a global change. If I map to
Dave> one console it applies to all sessions. I need them to act
Dave> independently.

If you're a C programmer, Linux has an ioctl that allows a program to
set up notifications (with a selectable signal) whenever the virtual
terminals are switched.  So you can write something that runs in the
background, traps these switches and reloads the keymap based on a
config file.

Start by looking at /usr/include/linux/vt.h if you decide to take the
challenge. :)

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
In his own soul a man bears the source