Re: Latop to Desktop ethernet

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 02:51:39AM +0000, Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
:To just do simple FTP between my laptop and desktop without any other
:network, what are the appropriate script settings?
:PCMCIA ethernet cards are functional in each.
:Please copy to me as well as the LIST.

well hardware is the first thing that will bit you.  Make sure you use
a crossover cable or two regular (straight through) cables and a hub.

for ip settings it doesn't really matter what numbers you use if
there's only the two machines an example of how to do this part:

[root@foo]$ ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.1 up
[root@bar]$ ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.2 up

then there's getting ftp running on the one you want files off of.  I
don't recommend ftp for this.  Security isn't an issue assuming
there's just this isolated network, but I'd still recommend ssh/scp.  It's
the simplest option as well (assuming you can get an internet
connection to download the .deb files):

[root@foo]$ apt-get install ssh
[root@bar]$ apt-get install ssh

then to copy the files:

[usr@foo] scp bar:/path/to/file [bar:/path/to/file2 ...] /local/path/

or for recursive copy of directories

[usr@foo] scp -r bar:/path/to/directory/ /local/path

if you have a different username on the remote machine use:
[usr@foo] scp user@bar:/path/to/file [bar:/path/to/file2 ...] /local/path/

HTH,
Jon